In an effort to preserve a small piece of history we decided to produce a diorama of the John Brown shipyard. Today satellite images show a wasteland where once an industrious shipyard sat. The full history of the shipyard from its origins in 1847 until it closed its gates in 2001 can be found in detail on Wikipedia or in numerous other accounts online. The model is 1/1250th scale. Dimensions: 600mm x 330mm x 70 mm tall. It consists of the East and West yards which are separated by the fitting out basin. The East yard contained five building slipways, each of which could accommodate the building of the largest battleships, with one slip long enough to build a ship of over 900ft. The west yard was used to build smaller ships such as destroyers. Each model consists of the following: * Historically accurate buildings. * A choice of ship on one of the slipways. * Optional ships for the basin * Fully finished and painted ready to accept models. 1st World War The company was almost exclusively occupied in building warships. With the exception of the battlecruisers Repulse and Hood, this warship building was concentrated on destroyers. By the end of the war it had built more destroyers than any other British shipyard and set records for their building with HMS Simoom taking seven months from keel laying to departure, HMS Scythe six months and HMS Scotsman five and a half months. Between the wars and 2nd World War The end of the First World War and subsequent shortage of naval orders hit British shipbuilding very hard and John Brown managed to survive with orders for large liners, Empress of Britain 1928, and Queen Mary 1930. However in 1931 after a years work on the Queen Mary, Cunard was unable to finance further work. The yard closed and did not open until 1934. Re-armament and the order for the liner Queen Elizabeth in 1936 brought the yard back to life. The battleship Duke of York was ordered in 1937 and Vanguard in 1941. The order for the Lion class battleship Conquer was placed in 1939 but cancelled before it could be laid down. Its yard number 567 was used for Vanguard. After the war the yard continued building, passenger liners, cargo ships, tankers and warships. By the early 1960's the yard was uncompetitive, especially against foreign shipyards and was making a loss. . Its last Royal Navy order was for the Fearless-class landing platform dock HMS Intrepid, which was launched in 1964 and underwent trials and commissioning in 1967. The Queen Elizabeth 2 hull No 736 was laid down in 1965 and launched in September 1967. Nearly 800 ships were built at the shipyard, some of note are: Battlecruisers: Inflexible 1908, Australia 1913, Tiger 1914, Repulse 1916 and Hood 1920. A G3 battlecruiser was ordered in 1921 and later cancelled. Other Navy ships included Barham 1915, Duke of York 1937, Vanguard (last British battleship built) 1941, Roberts (monitor) 1941 and the carrier Indefatigable 1944. Liners:RMS Lusitania 1907, RMS Aquatania 1913, Empress of Britain 1928, RMS Queen Mary 1930, RMS Queen Elizabeth 1936, RMS Coronia 1947, the Royal yacht HMY Britannia 1954 and SS Queen Elizabeth 2 1967.